Most people sit in their cubicle and day dream of a life without bills. A life with as little obligations as possible. Most people dream of a way to simply get up and leave at any given time. Most people dream of the life I am currently living, and to be honest I wish more people could live the way I do.
Why? Because that would make this place we live in a generally happier place. And you know what THAT would mean? No more road rage! Booyah! But seriously, imagine the possibilities…
Consider your living expenses:
- Taxes (school and municipal)
- Oil or gas for the home
- It’s been too long, I honestly don’t know what people pay every month.
Now consider this: not having ANY living expenses. Can it be done? How to do it?
Here are 4 easy steps towards achieving total utopia:
- Sell all your major belongings such as furniture. You won’t need them in this fairy tale come true. Donate or give the rest, your family will love you for it!
- Get a mailbox. Not a postal box (the government does not like PO’s) but a UPS Store address or a Postal Annex, anything that offers you a real street address. They are actually cheaper than a post office box, and you can get the smallest size, these professional operators will hold all your excess mail and only lose the most valuable orders you have.
- Buy a boat. Or a small motor home if water just isn’t your thing. If you choose a boat, then you get to stay in great anchorages. Most are free and offer a spectacular view with the best sunset dining experiences. If you choose a motor home, then any Wal-Mart parking lot can become your anchorage. Most are free and offer a spectacular view of the people of Wal-Mart with nearly decent sunset dining experiences.
- With the lightened load made possible by the selling/donating/trashing of your belongings, you can now move onto your anchored boat or motorhome. Trailer trash? Maybe so. But consider this: you’ve now acquired the freedom to move around, to come and go as you please. AS YOU PLEASE! You will meet like-minded people.
You will make friends with free spirited people who live a carefree life. These people are happy. These are the people still hitting the waves and surfing daily well in their 60’s. These are the people pulling their children out of school to sail across the Pacific from Mexico to Tahiti. Haven’t you always wanted to visit the French Polynesia?
You get double bonus points if among your skills are: mechanical work, electrical, plumbing and sewing. When your home has a transmission the amount of work to be done never really goes away…
I can hear you. I know what you’re saying “But I don’t like boats! I get seasick! I have kids! I have other obligations! Its too cold! What will I do with my turtles and my doll collection?”
Take a serious long hard look at your life.
Start now by discarding the excess weight. Every time you go to the store to buy a new pair of shoes or a new coat then give, throw out or donate more than what you bring in. It’s time to start to stop! Stop accumulating. Every new purchase ask yourself “Self, do I really really need this?” and answer with brutal honesty. Every time you go ahead with an unnecessary splurge picture your dream life going away as if it were being covered with a new layer of fog.
I will leave you with this thought: remember any major transition you’ve been through in your life? Remember feeling small and vulnerable when facing the mountain of change ahead of you assuming you would never get through it? Now think of once you got through it and looked behind. Have you ever smiled and told yourself “Well that wasn’t so bad!”
And now think of the benefits. For your homework I expect to hear back from you on the first concrete step you promise to make to improve your life and make your own dream come true.